NZIFSB Alexandra Seed Collecting Workshop 30-31st October 2016
The second South Island seed collecting workshop for the New Zealand IndigenousFlora Seed Bank (NZIFSB) for 2016 will be held in conjunction with the Thyme Festival at the end of October. The workshop will be held at Community House in Alexandra with a field site in Central Otago for population assessment and potential seed collection on the second day. This workshop will cover the appropriate methods and protocols for collecting seed for the New Zealand Indigenous Flora Seed Bank. Attending a workshop is a requirement for anyone wishing to be involved in this project as a collector. Numbers for the workshop will be limited to 20 people. The workshop will be led by the NZIFSB Project Leader, Mr Craig McGill. The first day of training will cover theory, and the second day will cover the practical side of collecting through an expedition into the surrounding environment. Full details are:
- Date and time - Sunday 30th October – Monday 31st October 2016 (9.00am – 4.00pm each day)
- Venue - Alexandra Community House (14-20 Centennial Avenue, Alexandra) for the Sunday 30th October and a field site in Central Otago for the 31st October.
- Refreshments for morning and afternoon tea will be provided.
- There is no workshop registration fee but you will need to bring your own lunch for each day.
- Car parking: Car parking is available around the vicinity or for any specific queries please call COREAP on (03)448 6115.
Please register your interest early to avoid disappointment! To register or for further information, please contact the Seed Bank Coordinator, Mrs Jessica Schnell at (06)356 9099 Ext 83236 or email J.L.Schnell@massey.ac.nz by 16th October 2016 or register at the Thyme Festival desk.
Flat Top Hill, near Alexandra (photo: Jessica Schnell)